Sunday, September 16, 2007

Rugby, a new sport for me to watch?

I have been exposed to more comments on rugby in the past week than I have my entire life. I love football. I love the NFL network where there are football things 24/7. I love how physical it is, the pounding of bodies, the athletic feats, the passion of the players and fans. But I've never watched rugby.

StyleyGeek recently had a couple posts talking about rugby. And cluelesslee has talked about rugby and enlightened me to the fact that the US is in the Rugby World Cup. Wow. I had no idea. Rugby is never in the news here. I'd like to watch it on television but I'm not even sure it would be on a channel that I would get. Is it even broadcast in the U.S.? It has to be, I'll have to look because I haven't yet.

I know nothing about the rules of rugby, it looks similar to football, but just without padding, but is it really? For those of you who know rugby you'll have to excuse my ignorance but I'm out to learn more now.

I also find it interesting that sports which are very popular in the rest of the world, like rugby and soccer, get very little notice here in the U.S. - just an observation.

1 comment:

  1. the us have been at the last couple of tournements, and u may be pleased to know that they appear to improving all the time (despite being a long way behind southern hemisphere tri-nations contendors and the five nations of the british isles)...


    The physical element of the game is about the only similarity with american football... this link might help you...

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/bsp/hi/rugby_union/rules/html/default.stm

    ReplyDelete