We had mandatory training yesterday for BSL2+ work. Forget the fact that we have been working in BSL2+ facilities for over a year. Apparently now we need training. The most interesting thing about the training - the full time biosafety officer teaching the class passed out candy for those who would answer questions or make comments. We were in the BSL2+ tissue culture room. In a safety class, we were encouraged to eat in the same room we were just told that we weren't allowed to eat in.
Ridiculous.
And during the same meeting we learned that the two table top centrifuges are room temp only. They aren't refrigerated. In a common lab space only an idiot would order centrifuges that don't refrigerate. Two of the three labs here use refrigerated centrifuges, however the lab in which the Center lab manager belongs to doesn't. She obviously doesn't think of every one's needs. Kiwi is working with her and the other lab boss to figure out what they are going to do. Absolutely everything our lab does requires equipment to keep it all cold. Kiwi was eyeing the centrifuge next to my bench. He wanted to take the centrifuge from our lab benches but I said no, bad idea. That's the only refrigerated one by the benches. I told him he can't have it. They will need to fix the problem without stealing the equipment the rest of us use. Especially the equipment I use!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Uhh can't she return them or buy new ones?? She is such a dumb ass.
ReplyDeleteI saw kiwi the day after happy hour and I ran away from him because I was embarrassed of that picture!!!!
--former lab manager
I'll go you one better. I once worked in an airlocked facility that had no fridge, so you had to de-robe and go outside if you forgot anything, re-robe and re-enter.
ReplyDeleteNot to mention that the buckets of ice weren't exactly sterile.
I wondered why they hired someone to run a central lab who wouldn't think of these things, until I met the person who did the hiring.
Uh huh.