Monday, October 15, 2007

Wish me and my cat luck

Tomorrow my cat Dante has surgery to remove a bad tooth. For most cats this is a minor procedure, no big deal. But not for him. He has a heart condition labeled "feline intermediate cardiomyopathy," in other words, he has atrial enlargement to the heart resulting in a heart murmur. He is on a pill-a-day which has helped immensely, at his last EKG and blood work he had a barely detectable murmur, the enlargement was down to normal size, and the blood work was normal. However, there is an increased risk of complications from anesthesia because of his heart condition. His normal vet didn't want to do the surgery initially until he talked to Dante's heart vet who said it should be okay, as long as they didn't use certain drugs.

So in all likelihood, he'll be okay. He runs around like a crazy cat so I know he feels fine. But I'm still worried. My mom says he'll be fine and I'm sure he will be but I can't help it. There is always that possibility that something will go wrong. My parents are coming out tonight so they can drive us to the vet tomorrow morning to drop him off, then Fiance and I will pick him up in the evening.

So I know I'm rambling but I'm worried. I just can't imagine my life without him. So wish him (and me!) luck, put us in your prayers and thoughts. I'm sure he'll be fine, but I can't relax until it's over with and he's home tomorrow evening.
This is him laying in his favorite position!


6 comments:

  1. Good luck! I know he will be just fine.

    Our orange cat has a heart murmur - he, like Dante, runs around all the time too...but I can't help feeling that some day it's going to catch up to him.

    Go, Dante!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck to you both! I'm sure it will be fine, but I would worry too. He's a beautiful cat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck, Dante!
    (What a mischievous looking cat!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! Let us know how it went. Is the vet going to prescribe some antibiotics like amoxicillin? They do that for humans with heart defects...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So what was the word from the docs? From personal experience I have learned that as long as it's not an emergency visit, the pet pulls through fine. My mom's dog this summer had to go under for removal of a couple infected teeth. She too was extremely afraid for him because he's around 10 years old and has started to have spells of epilepsy. But he went under and came out fine. I hope your lil boy had a good day at the vets and recovers with the least amount of problems like Griz did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm catching up on my blog reading, so by now he must've had the surgery. I hope everything went well!

    ReplyDelete