Tuesday, June 19, 2007

An explanation

I feel like I need to explain why I haven't posted in such a long time. It's not because interesting, ridiculous things haven't been happening. Many times I have thought "Damn, this would be a great post" or "I can't wait to talk about this!" But alas, experiments have gotten the best of me lately.

I feel like I have been getting up, going to lab, working, going home, sleeping, then repeating the same cycle over and over again. With some eating here and there. Actually, it didn't just feel that way, it was that way. On the weekends when I finally had some time to relax and spend with family (both cats & people) I couldn't bring myself to turn my computer on. One reason was I can't seem to turn it on without checking my email. I didn't want to check my email because I didn't want to hear from work. The only weekend I actually got on my computer was when I went home to my parents house for my dad's birthday/father's day. I needed to show him somethings on my computer - and dial-up is so slow at home that I didn't bother logging on.

Here is an illustration of how slow the Internet connection is. And it isn't because DSL has spoiled me. They live so far off the main line it is verrrry slow. A program that took me 7 minutes to download at my apartment took over 4 hours. It was sooo frustrating because we got my dad an iPod nano and I was trying to download iTunes. He couldn't use it until I got the software. Then we had to format it for a Windows computer, which it wouldn't even do because it took so long the program would timeout. I had to bring it back with me and it literally took less than a minute to do at work. Now I have to go back this coming weekend to return his iPod and teach him how to use it.

So today I renew my commitment to write. It also helps that I could have actually been home by 6:30pm this evening. But nooooo. I couldn't get on the cytometer until after 6pm. I'll be lucky if I'm home by 8pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment