Little things make me happy. Today I got a new timer. Yes, my old timer could time four different things at the same time, and this one can only do one. But I've dropped my old one too many times, trying to carry too much stuff at once and rushing around. If I move it wrong or set it on the desk too hard it resets. I have lost track of too many experiments too many times. The way I see it, I can still use my old one for multiple timing, I'll just leave in on my bench and not touch it. The time that will go off first I'll use my new one. It's great! It's super thin, the buttons are covered by flip top, and it's like a key chain so I can clip it to my jeans.
I also got a new stand for the biohazard bag by my desk. Because of the way the labs were organized when we moved we were one stand short. So our old lab manager ordered a new one but it was the wrong size. I've been sharing with LB. Who NEVER changes the bag. Not that he does that much work. But when he does he fills the bag with blue diapers. I will not take out his crap. He'll fill it until it's ready to overflow. So now I have my own. I put the old one by his bench.
There are benefits to having to place orders while Ding is gone.
I also ordered boxes of biohazard bags for each hood room and where the benches are located. We aren't supposed to be taking things out of each of the BSL2+ rooms but we have been because we don't have enough stuff. I got tired of it and ordered more. And those boxes are heavy! So I took them all to the hood rooms, even ripped off the top of the boxes for easy access, with my bare hands because scissors could not be found. They seem to have walked away. Anyway, while I'm moving all this stuff, the boss sticks his head in the hood room and says "You're getting a good workout today," like I don't do anything any other time. I just stared at him. Yes, I can do manual labor. Does he see anyone else doing it around here? Even with a bad shoulder and possibly a broken finger I'm still doing it. So he can get that stupid grin off his face. I thought he was going to yell at me for not gowning up in the room and wearing sandals. Because he did look at my feet. But noooo, all he commented on was that I was doing manual labor.
Wednesday, June 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I miss my timer... I´m going to have to order one somewhere, just so I can clip it to my jeans and walk around with it on.
ReplyDeleteI also wanted to by myself a 1ml pipette just for adding dashes of ingredients to cocktails. Yes, I think my bar needs one.
You know, that's not a bad idea. We have 1ml pipettes and never use them.
ReplyDeleteI might do that!
you can start up a bloglines account (or google reader) and then enter all the blogs you visit, and you can read them all at that one place...it tells you whenever they are updated.
ReplyDeleteIt's the same at my labo.
ReplyDeleteI am so happy I found this blog! I enjoy reading it as well as your friends' blogs. I had a good laugh about Kiwi and LB, but I can't imagine where you find patience for dealing with them for as long as you have!
ReplyDeleteSo since I don't work in the lab like you do, I was wondering if you could explain what it means to "process blood", what's a hood, and maybe even what your research is about (no details, if you are keeping an anonymitiy, but a general idea would be nice).
Oh, and by the way, where in the world did you get to swim with a tiger cub?!
I so glad you enjoy reading it! I'll be checking yours out too. As for Kiwi and LB, patience has kind of been forced on me. I don't have much choice. Since I'm almost done I just try to grit my teeth and vent elsewhere (hence a reason for the blog!). I dream of when I'll be done.
ReplyDeleteAs for processing blood - details won't reveal anything because a lot of labs to this. I'm using a ficoll gradient to isolate peripheral blood mononuclear cell )PBMCs) from whole blood. Then I pull out CD14 positive cells using magnetic beads and culture them into dendritic cells.
As for the tiger, I as an undergraduate I got to work on a wildlife refuge that specialized in exotic cats. It was my last day there and they let me swim with the only cub they had at the time. It was a dream come true!