Friday, February 27, 2009

My cover's been blown (kinda)

I received a rather unexpected phone call today. Apparently, using a fairly common search term that would bring up thousands and thousands and thousands of websites, a professor of mine from grad school stumbled upon my blog. He read it for a while when it finally dawned on him he knew who I was. It was the Kiwi. The good news is I don't care. He is a pretty cool professor and I don't mind what he reads. In fact, the only reason I think he was able to figure it out was that I confided in him about some of the conflicts I had with the Kiwi. And Loverboy. So once he read the posts it wasn't too hard to put two and two together. I know I can trust him. He's just learned one way in which I learned to cope with the situation.

I just hope no one else figures it out. But I don't think they will because only people I trust know how things actually were in that place.

UPDATE: OK, now I know never to make assumptions. I actually typed in the search term, which should has produced countless hits. It's a very common term. But apparently, it only brings up 441. Still a lot. The problem is, mine is 4th one listed on the first page. Darn it.

5 comments:

  1. That's so random (I think?)

    I think your "about comments" would hopefully remind anyone else who did happen to figure out your identity NOT to divulge it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you could make the blog more private, by adjusting the settings within the dashboard. E.g. disable blog from web search engines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, it was the Kiwi or it was not? I'm confused. But glad to see you posted something after such a long absence... I hope you're not completely gone now. I stopped checking here for a while because you hadn't written at all, and frankly I was a little worried.

    Anyway, congrats on graduating. Just be careful not to get trapped in whatever you do next. Postdoc can be an awful lot like grad school that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankfully it wasn't the Kiwi, it was another PI who knew of my problems with the Kiwi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it best to operate under the assumption that if someone who knows you IRL stumbles across the blog they *will* rapidly figure out it is you.

    ReplyDelete