This happened yesterday but I was too busy to post. In my lab there are 4 ph.d. students (3 who do work, and one who doesn't), and one technician. Actually, there is also a rotation student but I don't know his name and I really don't care right now. The postdoc applicant is a woman from India. My boss (who I will refer to as the Kiwi, because he's from New Zealand but also because he shaves his head and it's fuzzy like the fruit - even though I realize people from New Zealand refer to the bird, not in his case) is having dinner with her the day she arrives. On the itinerary he also scheduled the other female student to have dinner with them - he did this before asking her. When kiwi saw her, he said he thought it would be good for her to be there because the postdoc applicant might feel more comfortable talking with her, or dealing with her, or something like that. He tripped over his words.
She was really offended and took it to mean that since she is a foreigner (she's from the Middle East), that she can communicate better with other foreigners, not Americans. I didn't take it that way, to me it didn't mean she couldn't relate to us, but that we couldn't communicate with her. Apparently, we Americans can't have an intellectual conversation with someone from another country. She kept calling him racist and sexist. I tend to agree with her on this one. He yet again is proving to be an idiot.
Tuesday, April 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Dude, Mo is totally not indian. You did not tell me this!!!! Kiwi is such a dumb ass!!!!!!1
ReplyDeleteSorry! So much happens that by the time I see you I can't remember everything.
ReplyDelete