Friday, May 4, 2007

Friday frustration

I was actually going to be able to go home at a normal hour today, i.e. home by 6pm, but alas, the lab gnomes have foiled all my plans. The Central Blood Back screwed up again today. They didn't draw my buffy coat. They said if I really wanted one they could draw one this afternoon. I said it's not that I really want it, I really need it. I have recently discovered that the main reason my stuff hasn't been working for quite a while is that I need fresh dendritic cells. My frozen DCs just don't cut it. This is a wonderful discovery because now stuff is working. The downside is that now I have to process blood twice a week, which wouldn't be so bad except I have to do large experiments at the same time. I can't lose 2 days per week of experiments.

That being said, since I've been sick this week my energy has been consumed quickly so I was only going to process blood today and go home. Now the blood won't show up until around 4pm if I'm lucky. Which means I will be here until 9pm, at the earliest. I could have slept in today. But now I'm stuck here because it is pointless to take the bus home because I'd have to be back by 4pm.

To top it off, my boss apparently isn't here today. I could have left early with no hassle. One bright light, sort of, is that I don't have to come in this weekend. (Except to feed my cells but that doesn't count.) The laser is out on the microscope I use and won't be fixed until sometime next week. Downside - can't analyze my slides. Upside - don't have to come in!

Later in the day:

More frustration, so when I get back to lab from the CBI, I find out that a monkey is "being sacked as we speak" using my boss's words. It was supposed to go down next Friday. This is the second time this has happened and it's getting pretty old. I called my boss because he wanted to talk to FD or LB, neither of whom was in the lab. He was taken off guard because he didn't want to talk to me, but besides Mo I was the only other one here at the time. My boss told me that samples were coming from the facility and FD needed to talk to the vet tech to arrange a pickup here. He said if I see FD or LB to tell them whatever. I said flat out, "Well, LB doesn't come in when he isn't signed up for the hood. He's not signed up today so he probably won't be here. He hardly ever comes in on Fridays." My boss just kind of stuttered on the other end and changed the subject.

Then we went from frantically trying to get stuff done before the samples arrived to slowing down. They were putting the monkey down but snap freezing the samples so we weren't getting anything. Apparently, FD talked to the boss and told him he was tired and already had plans and wasn't going to process any tissue. And LB couldn't be found, once again he wasn't answering his phone. Surprise, surprise. The boss wanted FD to call LB and figure out what monkey is going to be put down for next week (it needs to be decided by Monday), and FD told the boss if he left a message on LB's phone then there was no reason for FD to do it. I guess the boss was pretty irritated. Good for him. It's not our problem that his golden child is never here and won't answer his phone. Why should we do his work when he's off probably smoking dope and being a bum?

2 comments:

  1. Good for kdog!! Seriously, LB is the laziest bastard in the world and I can NOT believe he doesn't show up when the monkeys go down. They cost 6500.00 a piece!!!!!! I can't even blame this on LB, because if the kiwi would actually act like a boss and not a pussy then things would be alot better in that lab.

    Not my problem anymore! But you know if I was still there who would've been processing everything!

    p.s. congrats on everything working! Bastard frozen DC's

    p.p.s Tell MO and K-dog that I hate them.

    ReplyDelete