Friday, May 11, 2007

Money Issues

It's kind of obvious that our boss is not well liked. He doesn't pay for two of his students, the remaining two (Mo & I), he says he doesn't have enough money to keep. Yet he is actively interviewing postdocs and will eventually hire one. So we know he's lying for the most part. As a result, we (FD, Mo, and I) don't care at all how much we spend. We buy what we need and sometimes we buy things we don't need (usually me). Our motto is "Spend the f*rs money. Who cares."

Well, yesterday, our boss has finally taken notice to what we've been doing. As a result of moving to the new facility, most of our purchases have to be signed by him. We used to use P-card, now we can't. And he never paid attention to finances. He came to each of us and asked that we watch what we spend and try to be frugal. Apparently, we all managed to spend 23,000 dollars last month! Most of his money has been wasted on LB's study so none of us really care. And honestly, most of what we bought last month were legit purchases. Mo and I are growing A LOT of dendritic cells, which require IL-4, GMCSF, and a lot of media with expensive FBS. That's probably where the bulk of the money is going. Oh well, if he wants our experiments to work, to even be done at all, we need the stuff.

I'd be interested to see how much the spending goes down after Mo and I leave.

2 comments:

  1. $23,000!!!!! That is awesome. Good job to everyone! I don't think we ever spent that much in a month the whole 3.5 year I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of it, but I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete