Thursday, May 10, 2007

Lab crap

Someone needs to shake me. I'm trying to resist the urge to complete reorganize (or organize) this lab by myself. I can't take it. There is no reason why anything is located where it is. When we lost our storage room last week everything was put above our benches, nowhere near the hood rooms. LB was pissed because he was the one who had to take everything out of the storage room. So he put stuff in no conceivable order. Pipettes are everywhere, conicals are everywhere. Every time I need something it's like a scavenger hunt. The hood rooms are just as bad. He randomly put stuff in those rooms, instead of putting useful stuff in there. I've been fighting the urge for days and I don't know how long I can hold it off.

The area where our lab is located is about 75% empty, but it is slowly filling up. And in order to entice certain scientist to join the place, the director wants it to look as open and empty as possible (shows room for expansion). However, that means that every time someone moves in, we are forced to compress stuff, like losing the storage room. We all had to move sinks down. It's ridiculous because as soon as an area is set up we have to move it. Anyway, our benches were at the end, now there other people are at the end. We all keep walking down the wrong row. At first I thought he was kidding, but he mentioned it again today to LB, who of course thought it was a great idea. He suggested putting nationality flags at the end of the benches to help people walk down the right ones. He's serious. For one thing, the outside aisle barely fits two people, a flag will get in the way, and we will probably hit our heads on it. He can pay workman's comp for someone getting stabbed in the eye. Plus, we just need to pay attention. If we walk down the wrong aisle, it's our own fault. Flags are stupid.

1 comment: