Wednesday, October 10, 2007

More experiments

Sometimes I think it will never end. I have just a few experiments left, so I thought. Then I met with my boss today. Like I mentioned before, overall the departmental retreat went very well. My data was well received. One part I didn't focus on, because I was hoping after a few days if I didn't mention anything my boss would forget. Well, he didn't forget.

At the retreat were two of my committee members, Scope Man and Friend of Scope Man. Scope Man had a long talk with Kiwi before Kiwi even gave his presentation because Kiwi whipped out his computer to show Scope Man what we had. And Friend of Scope Man talked to both Kiwi and I after his presentation. The result - lots of suggestions of experiments I should do next. Easy in theory, and I stress in theory. But aren't all experiments that way. Things are never as easy as they sound and appear on paper. What I can't get my boss to understand is that just because other researchers have used a particular technique I will be using this same technique in a way it's never been used before. It might not work. In fact, I think this whole new series of experiments might lead to a dead end, but I'm afraid to think of that.

The other unfortunate thing, in order to run all these new experiments I have to learn how to use a new cytometer. I'm hoping it won't take too long to get the hang of it. I know flow and how collecting and analyzing events works, I know all the ins-and-outs of flow (I was dubbed Flow Goddess by our old lab manager! And the Goddess thing boosts my spirit.). But the software for this cytometer is completely different. Kiwi wanted me to stay with the machine I use now and didn't like the idea of my using a different cytometer. Then I broke the experiment down into smaller pieces and made him understand that for what my committee wanted to learn, I had to use this new cytometer that uses more colors. I had wanted to defend in December but now, I don't think that will happen. I really, really wanted to be done before Christmas. But it looks like I may not be done until January or February. But neither of us mentioned this during our meeting today.

To be honest, I really don't care too much as long as I'm done by April 2008 graduation and as long as I get paid. That last part is the iffy one, finishing by April 2008 is the easy one. I hate talking about funding with Kiwi, it is such a touchy subject. I think I'll give myself to the end of October to see how much I have done (and the likelihood I'll be finished with all experiments by then is slim, the end of November looks more likely), then I'll talk to Kiwi about an actual completion date and setting more limits to my experiments. I hate having to stress about funding when it's supposed to be his responsibility. He never should have hired a postdoc when he can't even care for his own students.

Sometimes I wonder if I will ever get done. I wonder if my committee will ever let me leave, or more importantly, agree to let me leave before my funding is cut.

UPDATE:
Forgot one thing, all those images I made last week, that took the entire week to make, we decided today that they would look better if I did them in a different way. So they all have to be redone. When am I going to do this, on top of all the experiments he just decided that I need to do? Don't ask me. I have no idea.

4 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever made a figure just once. While it's good to know it's not just me, I do understand how time-consuming and frustrating the process is.

    Congratulations on the well-received results and I'm wishing you the best of luck with the new set of experiments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard from many people that the key to getting your committee (and boss) to let you go is to have somewhere to go waiting for you--a post-doc or other job all lined up just waiting for you to defend. That way, you don't have all the time in the world to finish up, you just have a finite amount of time and so can't do more experiments. I _really_ wish I had done this. Now, I've been here so long, they just want to get me out because I bring their numbers down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that your Kiwi is such a thick head. Doesn't he get that there will always be stuff to do and experiments to run? Why doesn't he just get another student to continue your work?

    Having said that, I'm still very jealous that your graduation is so close. It might not be close enough for you, but from my perspective that's pretty close. For the last 2 years my adviser keeps telling me that I'll graduate in 2 years lol

    Anyways, good luck with experiments! You never know, you might get them to work quickly and then your thesis will be so incredibly mind-blowingly awesome that LB would have to burst into flames in order to graduate after you!!! Although I'm sure your thesis and results are already that.

    I totally agree with mrswhatsit! If you have a job/postdoc/whatever offer, they (committee) will be pressed to graduate you without you saying much. My friend just got a job offer and now both of her advisers are rushing her to graduate before February. And before the offer they were thinking she had about 8-12 months left!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your encouraging and positive comments. I really appreciate them.

    And CSS - you put a smile on my face and made me laugh! Suggesting him bursting into flames put some interesting and amusing images in my head.

    ReplyDelete